Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Sunday 13 September 2015

Wicklewood (Milestone Lane) Norfolk

At about 1500 today, I was about mid-way through my afternoon work-break.  While driving along Milestone Lane between Wicklewood and Deopham, I decided to check a recently ploughed field for migrants with Wheatear particularly in mind.  This area is very open and exposed and is dominated by arable land.  During the latter part of August I have also seen a small number of Golden Plovers (100+), and I wanted to check if the numbers are building.
Almost immediately, I could see Golden Plovers above the field, the numbers had indeed built to 350+ birds, many of these were males still wearing much of their breeding plumage.

Wheatear (male) at Wicklewood 13/09/15
My thoughts of migrants were fulfilled when I found at least 3 Wheatears running and flying over the field, exposing their bright white rumps.  Conditions were deteriorating during this short visit with a spell of persistent rain moving in, however, I was able to get a decent(ish) shot of the male Wheatear, despite hand-holding the camera....good old Canon technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment