Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Monday 28 September 2015

Little Cressingham, Norfolk

Due to my workload coupled with my just finishing the first of three 'weekends on' I feel that much will be sadly missed on the patch, although I do have a nice nine day stretch off in the second half of October, the month of all months which sees vast numbers of Thrushes and Finches on the move from Europe.  Despite this, I still have add days and afternoons off to check on things on the patch.  The beauty of my job however is that I travel around a good part of rural Norfolk between Wymondham, Hethersett, and many lovely villages in between, therefore my breaks should bring interest.
This afternoon I had a shortish walk along Fairstead Lane and Green Lane at Little Cressingham.  Although not the best time of day to observe movements of birds I did locate at least 6 Chiffchaffs, 4 of which were part of a mobile Tit flock on Green Lane. This Tit flock comprised Long-tailed, Blue, and Great Tits, also Treecreeper was heard. A couple of Siskins were disturbed from thistle and other weed seeds where they would have been feeding.  A number of Bullfinches were heard.
It was clear from this afternoons walk that most Whitethroats have now departed for their African wintering grounds.
I took a moment to overview a vast area of open, rolling farmland and considered what I could expect to see here in the coming months.  Most likely would be Peregrine which will winter here, an abundant supply of Pigeons should keep this species satiated.  Also, Merlin is a possibility, chasing low and fast after Pipits.  Hen Harrier is also a scarce winter visitor to the patch, the early months of this year saw a female on the patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment