Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 18 September 2015

A new Garden record and a visit to Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk

Garden 0730-0745 (New Garden Record)
I sat in the garden enjoying a coffee before going out for the morning, I wanted to check for any overhead passage...fairly quiet at this time.  60+ Goldfinches gathered in a neighbours tree "tinkering' away.  Collared Doves and Starlings were present and a couple of Coal Tits passed through.
At 0745, a panic ensued and birds scattered everywhere, clearly, a raptor, possibly Sparrowhawk was hunting, but no, I didn't expect to see a GOSHAWK pass through at roof-top height and at speed, an awesome raptor.  I suspect this was a wandering juvenile bird.  


Carleton Forehoe 0900-1045
Having dropped the wife off at her little cleaning job in Kimberley, I decided to have a walk along Low Road in Carleton Forehoe, again checking for migrant birds.
I found a calling Chiffchaff in a Oak-lined hedgerow, but could see nor hear anything else.  I walked back along Low Road and checked a small area of woodland scrub.  Checking an Elder, I could see branches moving, a closer look revealed 2 Blackcaps (male and female) and a single Lesser Whitethroat, all were feeding upon the rich supply of Elderberries.  Within range of this I could hear a Chiffchaff singing.
Nuthatch at Kimberley 18/09/15
I stopped at a beautiful Hawthorn hedge and watched birds moving through the hedge to a lovely cottage garden   Numerous Blue and Great Tits constantly moved back and forth, as did Marsh and Coal Tits, a single Chiffchaff was also seen briefly in Hawthorn.
Back at Kimberley, I was given permission to walk around the lovely cottage garden.  Feeders attracted numerous Blue Tits and Great Tits, again, with a few Coal Tits dropping in to feed.  At least a couple of Nuthatches came to feed.  A Goldcrest passed through the garden 

No comments:

Post a Comment