Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Morley St Botolph, Norfolk

During my afternoon work break I visited the beautiful church and winding lanes at Morley At Botolph.  My route took me from the church along Church Lane, Deopham Road, Stone Brigg, and New Road, and my aim was to locate migrants in the paddocks and hedgerows.
Starting off along Church Lane I straight away saw 2 Swallows, the first of about 6 birds I was to see this afternoon.  Walking along the Deopham Road and Stone Brigg, the various paddocks looked prime habitat for passage Ring Ouzels, none were located but at least 10 pairs of Blackbirds were seen.  I saw at one of these paddocks what looked like an image of 'olde England', a paddock completely surrounded by tall, sprawling Hawthorn and Blackthorn, a wonderful sight to see. A male Blackcap was singing in a beautiful wooded garden.
Back at the church, a couple of pairs of Jackdaws were seen around the tower and a couple of male Chaffinches sang.  Finally, at the New Road and Morleyfield junction, a male Whitethroat briefly gave song.

No comments:

Post a Comment