Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Wednesday 22 April 2015

A good day for migrants

3 Ring Ouzels near Hingham
1 Cuckoo heard (probably at Seamere)
1 Whinchat at Little Cressingham

Hingham, Norfolk
I was up very early this morning with a view to checking suitable sites for migrants on my way to work.  Dawn was cool and dry with some mist, however, this would soon burn off to give a day of sunny spells, but the persistent north-easterly wind had a cool edge to it.
Ring Ouzel near Hingham 22/04/15
I was aware that Ring Ouzels were in the area, therefore, I decided to check paddocks on my way through the village of Deopham.  At 0545 with the sun very low in the sky, I overlooked a paddock and straight away saw 3 Ring Ouzels together in a paddock, these appeared to be a male and two females.   One bird appeared a typical male with black plumage and a striking white breast crescent whilst the other appeared to have off-white breast patches.  Ring Ouzels have been reported in high numbers recently in Norfolk with 30+ at one sight.
This one paddock was also very productive for other Thrush species with 15+ Blackbirds, 4 Song Thrushes, and 1 Mistle Thrush seen.  Other migrants included a single Whitethroat, a Blackcap, and a distant calling Cuckoo.

Little Cressingham
A quick visit overlooking the Watton Brook valley from the Great Cressingham road produced a single Whinchat along the weed-filled ditch, a typical habitat for this passage migrant on the patch.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you caught up with the Ring Ouzel influx Paul. Just the one bird for me by the river, but always a pleasure to see one of these especially so close to him.
    Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, hope you are keeping very well. Yes, it is always good to see Ring Ouzels in inland Norfolk. Well done with your bird by the river. I see there has been some remarkable counts of Ring Ouzels this spring. I had my first Lesser Whitethroat yesterday...I really love these smart Warblers.
    Take care for now Jim and chat soon.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete