Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 24 April 2015

Carleton Forehoe and Kimberley, Norfolk

A sunny and warm day with highs of 19 degrees celsius.  Light Easterly wind.

Lesser Whitethroat at Carleton Forehoe (first of year)

From Kimberley Hall I walked along the Barnham Broom road, over the river and on to the turning for Low Road at Carleton Forehoe.  I then walked most of Low Road before turning back and returning to my start point at Kimberley.  The following birds were seen/heard:

Buzzard
1 Sparrowhawk
1 Kestrel
3 Greylag Geese on river
Treecreeper seen and song heard
2+ Nuthatches
1 Swallow
1 Lesser Whitethroat (male)
1 Whitethroat
Blackcap
Blue Tit

Walking along Low Road in Carleton Forehoe, I had thoughts of finding my target species for the day, a Lesser Whitethroat.  Today is a typical arrival date for me for this species on my patch.
A Buzzard was soaring above woodland along the river valley, and a Whitethroat briefly gave a small snippet of song.
Walking toward Glebe Farm on Low Road, I heard a familiar rattle-like song from a distance, as I neared the source of the song, the song was again heard, it was my first Lesser Whitethroat of this year.  I very soon saw a small bird in a tree ahead of me with bright white underparts, checking with my binoculars, there it was, a very handsome male Lesser Whitethroat.  This bird was briefly seen in a roadside hedgerow, despite being in view for only a moment, the salient features of this stunning Sylvia were seen.  The grey head and ear-coverts contrasted nicely with the white throat, similarly, the mousey-brown upperparts contrasted neatly with the silky-white underparts.  A very beautiful bird indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment