Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Little Cressingham (Watton Brook Valley) 20 September 2026

A bright morning with a light to moderate westerly wind, occasionally fresh in strength.  An early morning visit to private land alongside the Watton Brook valley and adjacent grassland currently grazed by cattle.

My visit was aimed at finding migrants, and what was particularly evident was a constant passage of Hirundine species, especially later on the visit when I had a static vismigging (Visual Migration) session.

Upon my arrival, an initial check of my surroundings produced 2 Mistle Thrushes high in a dead Oak and below these in a farmland boundary hedgerow two Stonechats were present.   One Buzzard was also seen close by in the valley.
As I set off west along the valley I paused to check the grassland for migrants, however, nothing was seen.  As I walked west I was aware of a movement of Swallows and the odd House Martin, it was then that a Hobby appeared directly above me where it soared for a while, the Hirundines were undoubtedly aware of this falcon as these were potential prey.  Checking the fence and fence-posts ahead of me I saw a further 3+ Stonechats and at least 3 Meadow Pipits (passage migrant and winter visitor).  A further scan of grassland ahead of me saw 3 Mistle Thrushes, two of which may have been the birds I saw upon my arrival.
An area of disturbed ground, caused by trampling cattle at a hay-feed, saw a single Grey Wagtail which was attracted to the ground for invertebrate food.  It is at such habitats at this time of year to check for Yellow Wagtails and Meadow Pipits.
Grey Wagtail at Bodney 20 September 2026

Hirundine Passage (Static vismigging)
Having noticed earlier on during my visit a movement of Swallows and House Martins moving through, I decided to stand and watch for evidence of passage by these species.  For a period of 20 minutes or so I watched as a light but constant passage of both Swallows and House Martins moved west along the valley, I also checked the distant east along the valley through binoculars and I could see more Swallows and House Martins approaching and eventually passing me in a westerly heading.  These Hirundines were forced low close to the ground due to the wind strength, they follow rivers with their destination being 'The Wash' from where they follow river systems south before leaving Britain.  Migration is fascinating, especially when you witness it happening.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment