Friday, 18 September 2026

From my archives. Honey Buzzard over Watton 17 September 2012 (A new garden record)

17 September 2012 (Watton, Norfolk)
Throughout the morning of 17 September 2012, I made frequent visits to the garden to check for overflying migrant birds.  It was a warm and settled day, perfect for raptor passage.
At 1345, I was about to pack up when a large, unusual looking bird of prey appeared in the north-west.  Immediately, I knew this was something different by the birds appearance. 
I raised the camera and started shooting, I could see through the lens that this was in fact a Honey Buzzard, later examination of the photograph showed this to be a dark-phase juvenile bird.
Honey Buzzard (dark-phase juvenile bird) passing over the garden 17 September 2012.

Honey Buzzard over Watton 17 September 2012

A number of features of this bird separates it from Common Buzzard, this shot shows the yellow bill base, solid brown underparts, paddle-like tail, extensive black 'hands' and obvious head projection.
This Honey Buzzard was initially seen approaching from the north-west, I could not believe my luck when the raptor turned slightly and passed directly over the garden, I then continued to watch it as it headed off south.  What a great garden record.

No comments:

Post a Comment