There had been rain in the night but the morning dawned sunny with a light WSW wind. The day began with a migrant Chiffchaff in the garden.
Bodney Camp (STW) 0705-0845
The wind has been for some time come from the South-West, West, and North-west, and at the time of writing there seems to be no change in this wind direction for the foreseeable future. Winds from the North-east and East are more favourable for migrant birds at this time of year, so hopefully a change will come later in the month and especially into October when the first winter Thrushes and Finches are on the move.
My visit to Bodney STW on 14 September was productive despite the wind direction with a few Chiffchaffs present, mostly in Elder bushes, and overhead, the best single count of 15+ Swallows headed south.
Two Grey Wagtails were within the STW complex, along with other common species including 2 Stonechats (female eating elderberry), two Coal Tits, two Great Tits, and Linnet. As I was leaving two Ravens flew low overhead in a SW heading and calling.
| Ravens. This impressive Crow is being seen more frequently in Breckland |
Thompson Wood 0905-1000
The most obvious species seen on this visit was Swallow (100+) high and low over grassland, also, 3 Meadow Pipits were my first autumn arrivals of the year. The best single count of 30+ Skylarks was noted, and in a weed-filled Pingo a single female Reed Bunting was present giving her "tsu" call.
Watton 1325
I was working in a friends garden when I thought I heard a very distant Raven calling, I listened carefully and grew more confident of the birds identity, after a short wait 3 Ravens were seen together approaching from the Merton area and headed off over Watton in a NE heading whilst continuing to give their wonderful call.
No comments:
Post a Comment