Friday, 4 September 2026

31 August 2026 at Thompson, Norfolk (with Sarah Harris, and 'Digger')

With the last day of the month upon us, my plan was to visit Thompson Wood for a search for migrant birds. I was not to be disappointed.  This was a sunny morning with increasing cloud. The wind was a light to moderate, occasionally fresh W to SW.

I messaged Sarah Harris (BB editor) and her gorgeous Border Collie 'Digger' and was later joined by her for a lovely walk and catch up.

Probably the most spectacular observation this morning was watching several hundred Hirundines gathering along wire fencing and hunting low over large weedy fields.  The majority species present was the House Martin with many Swallows too.  A single female Reed Bunting was seen.
I then walked alongside a long fence enclosing a very large weedy field, I was confident that I would find migrants here and a relatively short search revealed 5+ Whinchats either on the fence or on tops of tall weeds where they showed reasonably well.
Whinchat 31 August at Thompson. 
 
Whinchat 31 August 2026 (Note the bold pale supercillium)

The Whinchats seen today shared their surroundings with a number of Stonechats, it was therefore possible to see the difference between the two species.  Whinchats are paler birds with a strong pale supercillium, the tail pattern (as seen with a hovering bird) shows distinct white outer tail bases.
Also noted this morning was a single Whitethroat in a patch of scrub within grassland habitat.  

I later met up with Sarah Harris for our walk and catch up and although the high numbers of earlier Hirundines had moved on, more Swallows and House Martins arrived to fly low and close to the grasses and weeds.  
As we continued our walk Sarah saw a Goshawk flying left to right just above the treeline, it then dropped into the canopy when several Wood Pigeons scattered erratically.

It was a lovely walk with Sarah and it was good to see her again. Thank you Sarah.

And finally, as I was about to leave I met another friend, Jean Wagner, for a brief catch up.  Good to see you too Jean.

No comments:

Post a Comment