Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Sunday 29 April 2018

Yes........Whitethroat !!

Being really concerned about the late arrival of our Whitethroats, I was determined once again to locate 'nettlecreeper' for the very short window of opportunity I had before visiting a local antiques fair this morning.
I arrived at the habitat in Little Cressingham, this comprised a long, but low section of bramble alongside a quiet road.  I initially approached slowly to a stop when I heard a male Whitethroat singing in this habitat, a big smile and a sense of elation came over me...he's back.
Having parked up it was apparent that another male Whitethroat was singing in a small patch of scattered hawthorn within an area of rough grassland, not the same bird I thought, then two Whitethroats sang together.

I positioned myself where I was hoping to see the Whitethroat pop up on a sprig, he did, however, this was only a very brief appearance as the bird decided, wisely, to sing low in cover due to the cold, north-easterly wind.  It soon became clear that a pair of Whitethroats were on territory here.  What must these birds feel having spent the last few months in semi-desert, arid conditions to our weather today of very cold wind and well below temperatures for late April.  A bad day of weather is due tomorrow, however, the latter part of the week sees improving conditions, conditions which will see this Whitethroat singing and displaying from his patch of bramble, proudly announcing his return to this beautiful part of Breckland.

No comments:

Post a Comment