Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 6 April 2018

Ring Ouzel on patch

This was another one of those mornings when I decided to visit my patch for target species, notably, Wheatear and Ring Ouzel.  Conditions were promising, clear and sunny at dawn with a moderate, increasing to fresh to strong SE wind.
An increase in Chiffchaffs (4+ singing) was welcome, but I only managed a single singing Blackcap, arrivals appear later than last Spring.
A male Snipe was displaying and singing at a traditionally used site.  Watching this delightful bird splaying its tail feathers to produce 'drumming' is a reminder of how much this is a privileged sighting these days.
I checked a number of open fields for Wheatear, however, I could find none, although they are certain to be on the patch.
I also checked a number of suitable sites for Ring Ouzel without success.  I covered quite a lot of ground this morning and it wasn't until I was within sight of my finish that I checked hedgerows for migrants, a very early Whitethroat perhaps.  A couple of Song Thrushes flew up and away, could these have been Northern European birds?   I came to a gap in the hedge to check for Wheatear on a large field when I heard a different 'Thrush' call and immediately thought Ring Ouzel.  Looking along the hedge as carefully as I could, I saw the rear half of a 'Black-bird' but with noticeable silvery wings, I was about twenty yards from the bird.   The bird then flew north-east, I followed it with my binoculars, a very smart male Ring Ouzel.  I watched the bird as it flew low over the field and into a tree-lined hedgerow where I had earlier walked along.  This was a classic bird showing in flight the beautiful and very distinctive white crescent on its breast.  This bird had similar proportions to Blackbird, although appearing a little more slender.  In flight the wings showed the distinctive silvery colour.  Alighting in a distant tree, I could easily still make out the stunning white crescent marking on its breast.
Ring Ouzels will migrate with winter Thrushes such as Fieldfare and Redwings, thoughts did occur as to whether this passage Ring Ouzel was on the move with the two Song Thrushes I saw earlier in the same area.

No comments:

Post a Comment