Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Sunday 31 May 2015

Whitethroat at Little Cressingham, Norfolk

A pretty dismal day with persistent rain then showers all day until clearer conditions moved in late afternoon.
Not too much to report today due to the poor conditions, however, I watched a pair of Whitethroats in the Watton Brook valley which were attending to young in the nest.
The lush Watton Brook valley at Little Cressingham always holds breeding Whitethroats, this year, as in previous years, a pair had a nest in a thick Dog Rose along the bank of the Brook.
Whitethroat close to its nest at Little Cressingham 31/05/15
Having seen a Whitethroat at the given location, I had a good idea it would be nesting in one of two bushes.  Not long after I arrived a female Whitethroat was seen on wire fencing carrying a juicy green caterpillar for its young, I then watched the parent bird fly into a thick Dog Rose on the lush valley bank.  After this, numerous visits were made to the nest with food, often following a sometimes convoluted route to the nest-site. 
Despite their common status I never tire of watching Whitethroats.  They often raise a smile with me when they sit concealed in a bush with just its head sometimes popping up to watch it surroundings...or me.

No comments:

Post a Comment