Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 22 May 2015

Thompson, Norfolk

One of the warmest May days so far this year with a high of 19 degrees celsius.  Some sunny spells seen although for the most part, total cloud cover gave a humid feel to the weather
I took a mid afternoon walk just outside Thompson with thoughts of Spotted Flycatcher in mind.

Spotted Flycatcher Thompson 22/05/15
A quick stop at Thompson Water (quick because I forgot my 'jungle formula' Mosquito repellent, and they certainly had a taste for me), nevertheless, 3 Hobbies were hunting insects above the water.  Around me in the woodland was singing Garden Warbler, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, and Reed Warbler, whilst on or near the water was 4+ Grey Herons and a single Cormorant.

Having left Thompson Water, I relocated to woodland outside Thompson, an area of dense Oak and Birch habitat with plenty of Hawthorn, as this looked promising, here, I saw Long-tailed Tits foraging and a Blackcap singing, I then watched a slender bird flying through the treetops, it was a Spotted Flycatcher.  This delightful migrant obliged for a little while as it sat in upper branches of an Oak.




Goshawk (one of a pair) near Thompson, Norfolk

At about 1525 hours, I was walking along a woodland track with minimal views of open sky above me, however, as I looked up I saw 2 Goshawks soaring high overhead along with a single Buzzard.
I was not prepared for soaring raptors through the trees, therefore, this was the best shot I could take of the male of the pair.
The raptors then all left and went out of sight, however, I suspect they remained close by as Blackbirds were giving their shrill, agitated, whistle-like call.

No comments:

Post a Comment