Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Water Rail at Thompson Water, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday, 22 May 2015

Thompson, Norfolk

One of the warmest May days so far this year with a high of 19 degrees celsius.  Some sunny spells seen although for the most part, total cloud cover gave a humid feel to the weather
I took a mid afternoon walk just outside Thompson with thoughts of Spotted Flycatcher in mind.

Spotted Flycatcher Thompson 22/05/15
A quick stop at Thompson Water (quick because I forgot my 'jungle formula' Mosquito repellent, and they certainly had a taste for me), nevertheless, 3 Hobbies were hunting insects above the water.  Around me in the woodland was singing Garden Warbler, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, and Reed Warbler, whilst on or near the water was 4+ Grey Herons and a single Cormorant.

Having left Thompson Water, I relocated to woodland outside Thompson, an area of dense Oak and Birch habitat with plenty of Hawthorn, as this looked promising, here, I saw Long-tailed Tits foraging and a Blackcap singing, I then watched a slender bird flying through the treetops, it was a Spotted Flycatcher.  This delightful migrant obliged for a little while as it sat in upper branches of an Oak.




Goshawk (one of a pair) near Thompson, Norfolk

At about 1525 hours, I was walking along a woodland track with minimal views of open sky above me, however, as I looked up I saw 2 Goshawks soaring high overhead along with a single Buzzard.
I was not prepared for soaring raptors through the trees, therefore, this was the best shot I could take of the male of the pair.
The raptors then all left and went out of sight, however, I suspect they remained close by as Blackbirds were giving their shrill, agitated, whistle-like call.

No comments:

Post a Comment