Friday, 14 August 2026

Saham (Meadow and Marsh in the Watton Brook Valley in TF8900) 12 August 2026

 Today was to be sunn and hot again with wall to wall sunshine. The site visited early morning on 12 August is private land in the Watton Brook Valley close to the western limits of Watton. The habitat here comprises marsh and grazing meadow, a couple of good lengths of fruit bearing hedgerows, a large game strip, and Watton Brook.

12 August - searching for migrants

Habitats visited was the Watton Brook valley where I expected acrocephalus Warblers, and a long and well-stocked hedgerow and game strip.
As I walked north along a scrub lined ditch I first of all saw a single male Stonechat on fencing and bushes and as I reached Watton Brook the dominant species was Goldfinch, but as I walked alongside the brook I could see something different on fencing which was perched alongside a Goldfinch, the Goldfinch had an upright posture, however, the other had a horizontal carriage, I had a pretty good idea what this bird was  and checking with optics it was indeed a migrant Reed Warbler, this bird was seen a few times on the fence but also went to cover in thick herbage and reeds. 
Watton Brook at Saham 12 August (check herbage and fences for migrant birds)

The above picture was looking west along Watton Brook, it was here where I saw a Goshawk circling low over trees and farmland, also, 3 Red Kites were seen.
My return walk took me along a long and well-stocked hedgerow and gamestrip where Linnets dominated.  Also here was another Stonechat and at least two Whitethroats, one of which was a juvenile bird which picked at a blackberry.  A bit further along the hedgerow a single Chiffchaff was present.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment