A dry start to the day but with heavy thundery showers predicted. Some heavy and prolonged showers arrived around midday and it was great to look out of the window and finally see some decent rainfall following the long very dry spells and many days of very high temperatures.
My day began with a visit to a nearby army camp where I had to go through my annual safety briefing and pass renewal for the training area, an efficient process.
Little Cressingham (Watton Brook Valley within the training area) 0810-0930.
I arrived at my destination with full cloud and a muggy feel, the wind was an easterly shifting to a light south-easterly. The morning had a feel of migrants about it.
The first birds I noticed was a couple of Red Kites perched in a dead Oak, in the same tree two Great Spotted Woodpeckers, one of which was chiselling away at dead bark. A Goshawk was heard calling. Several Stonechats (c.10) and Whitethroat along the valley sides. I also saw a very brief acrocephalus species dart into cover, I suspected Reed Warbler.
Before proceeding along the valley I decided to scope rolling grassland and in doing so located 3 Northern Wheatear. Even watching from distance these Wheatears were easily identified migrants, firstly, I checked areas of short grassland at this time of year knowing that this kind of habitat supports passage Wheatear, I saw a distant bird standing upright and still before running fast over the land, then the birds were seen to fly short distances and showed their very distinctive white rump which appears as an inverted T.
As I slowly walked towards the grassland a Marsh Harrier approached from the west then headed south.
| Wheatear at Little Cressingham 27 August 2026 (one of 3 birds present) |
Wheatears are birds of open country and although a few pairs breed in the Brecks the vast majority of birds seen are migrants passing through both in spring and again in autumn. I encounter these delightful birds every year on the patch.
The Wheatears seen today were easily identified from range by their upright carriage, short, fast runs over the land, stopping and once again upright as it looks around, often these Wheatear chose the highest perch in the area, on fence posts on top of a hillock. The Wheatear pictured here is a juvenile bird, the other two birds were either female, or again, juveniles. As previously written the most distinctive feature of a flying Wheatear is the very conspicuous white rump in the form of an inverted T shape.
No comments:
Post a Comment