Tuesday 6 August 2024

Houghton-on-the-Hill - 5 August 2024 (0605-0900)

Houghton-on-the-Hill sits upon an elevated ridge of land visible distantly from the north and south. At the west end of the ridge sits the beautiful St Mary's Church, a very old church with 11th century murals depicting characters and events from the bible.  There has been a church on this site since 630, this was constructed of wood, the current church of stone has been in existence since 750. 
The prominent topography of this site along with man-made features such as the church has undoubtedly served as focal point for migrating birds over the centuries and probably millennia.
 
St Mary's Church at Houghton-on-the Hill 5 August 2024

Given its elevated position Houghton-on-the-Hill provides me with a superb migration watchpoint with views to the distant west through to the north-east giving huge expanses of sky to watch and follow migrating birds approaching from the north and north-east.  In the right conditions, common bird passage can be spectacular, I have witnessed the passage of many hundreds of Meadow Pipits and winter Thrushes.  Also, given the right conditions, raptor passage can be very good, examples of birds species picked up distantly from Houghton include Osprey and Honey Buzzard (both species on one September day) and with one record of a passage Montagu's Harrier.  Scarce migrants over the years in the area of the church have included a single Yellow-browed Warbler in October 2017, (I remember driving to Houghton on that day with Yellow-browed Warbler on my mind), Hawfinch and Firecrest.  Common migrants in autumn includes double figure numbers of Blackcaps, Whitethroats, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, and small numbers of Lesser Whitethroat and occasional passage Tree Pipit.   

5 August 2024

Today was my first visit to Houghton for the late summer/autumn migration season, this is where I do much of my birding from now through to November.
0605. I decided to begin the morning with a stroll around the small churchyard at Houghton and within a few minutes I could hear several Blackcaps alarm calling in boundary woodland, this alarm is a distinctive "tac", often given if a threat is nearby, such as a local friendly birder !!.  Blackbirds present included a juvenile, also Goldfinch (15+ over), Chaffinch and Blue Tit.  At least 3 Chiffchaff also present.
A well stocked hedgerow corridor runs east from the church and straight away I could hear more "tac" calls of Blackcap, also I could hear alarm calling Whitethroats, a distinctive "churr" or "churrit" and the "hweet" calls of Chiffchaffs.
Whilst standing between the hedgerow corridor I was watching a well stocked Elder bush where 3+ Blackcaps, Whitethroat, and a stunning Lesser Whitethroat were gathered in a social feeding gathering. One word for me describes the Lesser Whitethroat in late summer/autumn, this is 'immaculate', a truly beautiful Sylvia Warbler which even without optics stands out within the hedge as a bird with pure white underparts and throat contrasting strongly with the grey head and brown upperparts.
Common species seen here included Yellowhammer, Red Kite, Buzzard, and Kestrel.  Isn't it strange describing Red Kites as common.

Hedgerow on Houghton Common.  The Elder in the centre of this picture held feeding Whitethroats, 3+ Blackcaps, and a stunning Lesser Whitethroat
 
Whitethroat at Houghton 5 August (eating Elderberry)

The above picture shows a Whitethroat consuming an Elderberry, this is a favoured soft fruit for this and other Warbler species late summer and autumn.  Although insectivorous, Warblers change much of their diet to fruit in order to build up energy reserves for their long journey south to Africa.

Lesser Whitethroat at Houghton 5 August (always a special migrant to find)

As I ended my walk I intended to stop by an old Elder which has always been a good habitat for feeding Warblers.  As I approached I could hear the "tac" of Blackcaps and a short sharp "chit" of a Lesser Whitethroat.  Standing back from the Elder I could see Warblers flying across the path and back, there was clearly several birds involved.  The Elder I watched held Whitethroat, 3+ Blackcap, one Lesser Whitethroat, and a single Garden Warbler.  Resident species included a feeding juvenile Blackbird and Blue Tit.

For my first 'migrant day' I must say I am pleased with my finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment