Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 3 November 2017

Hawfinch at Houghton-on-the-Hill, Norfolk

Summary:  We are currently in the midst of an unprecedented invasion of Hawfinches in the UK.  Between last Monday and next Friday the 10th November, today, the 3rd, is my only day off, and before I set off for my destination I wanted to make it my goal to see if my patch has any evidence of the Hawfinch invasion.  I was not to be disappointed. 
Of course, the main aim of the day was to witness migration and this was evidenced by good movements of mostly Thrush species.
                                                                                                                           
The skies were leaden grey with cloud, light was poor, and visibility can be described as fair.  There was a light southerly wind, and the dawn had the feel of migration about it.
Light was very poor at dawn due to the full cloud cover, however, birds were on the move from my arrival at Houghton at 0655.

200+ Golden Plover (high) West
500+ Starlings East
250+ (total) Fieldfare
Redwings
2 Mistle Thrush
Blackbirds
Robin
Wren
1 Hawfinch
Bramblings - unseen overhead migrants (heard)
Greenfinch
Goldfinches

One Hawfinch was found in the churchyard of St. Mary's at Houghton-on-the-Hill at 0806.  I was some distance east of the church when I checked bird movements high in the trees in the churchyard, these were a small flock of Goldfinches.  I continued to scan the treetops and saw a Hawfinch in the top of a Sycamore. 
Hawfinch at Houghton-on-the-Hill 3rd November.  Rear views showed the 'bullish' neck and large grey nape.

Hawfinch at Houghton-on-the-Hill 3rd November. Large head and strong bill seen when head was turned.
First views was of the rear of the bird and was straight away struck by the large 'bullish' head and neck, and despite the poor light I could make out the chestnut crown and obvious large grey nape.  I watched the bird for a while and the occasional head turn revealed the large, strong bill.
The Hawfinch flew down into the yard but careful searching did not reveal the bird.  Later, presumably the same Hawfinch flew over me calling in a west heading.
I managed a couple of poor record shots of the Hawfinch.
We are currently in the midst of an unprecedented invasion of Hawfinches in the UK with most birds seen at coastal locations, although numbers have been seen passing through various watch-points around the country. It is most likely that this Hawfinch at Houghton is a migrant bird involved in the current invasion.
The Hawfinch was the obvious highlight of this visit to Houghton, but also seen was a steady westerly passage of both Fieldfares and Redwings.  Fieldfares totalled 250+ birds.
Bramblings were also on the move, however, these were just heard, not seen.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant Paul, the second blog I have read in a matter of minutes and the second to report Hawfinch! Will be trying on the patch this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim. Makes you wonder what the true numbers of Hawfinch are moving through the UK.

    ReplyDelete