Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Saturday 25 November 2017

Grimes Graves and Little Cressingham, Norfolk

A moderate frost greeted me when I stepped out of my home this morning.  Starlit skies promised a bright, white, morning.  0 degrees Celsius at dawn.
This morning I started with a visit to Grimes Graves.  The habitat here is one of open heathland, mixed forest, and of course, the ancient flint mining shafts which attracts so many visitors each year.
I arrived at Grimes Graves at about 0715, some 20 minutes prior to sunrise.  The ground beneath my feet was frozen, and white with frost.
I initially walked some of the forest rides within this undulating landscape before arriving at the heathland/grassland/scrub, a habitat which attracts Great Grey Shrike annually.
Grimes Graves at dawn on 25th November.
Some of the best views of birds were in fact quite close to me in the dense, low Hawthorn, bracken, and grass habitat.  
A mixed flock of small birds comprising mostly Long-tailed Tits, Blue Tits, Great Tit, and many Goldcrests, were roving fore their first food of the day.  One particular Goldcrest was seen on the outer branches of a small frost-covered Hawthorn, its dark greens and the yellow crown stripe really stood out against the white background.
Also present was a small flock of about 12 Redwings, whilst a couple of Fieldfare passed over.
One Green Woodpecker flew past and was later heard calling, and distantly on the heath a Mistle Thrush was singing

Little Cressingham (Great Cressingham Road)
Having left Grimes Graves, I decided to stop off close to 'The Arms' to check a large weedy strip for Finches and Buntings.
Light was still excellent and a short overview of this area produced mostly Chaffinches, Bullfinch and Yellowhammers, also, at least 4 Redpolls were seen.  Farmland adjacent to the weedy strip produced a few Fieldfares searching the ground for food.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, Thanks for the comment about my notebooks on my blogs, sorry I forgot to reply after I read the comment on my phone at work! You should give it a go, it can help loads for the stuff that wont sit for a photo :)
    I'll look forward to reading your blog... Cheers Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stewart, great to hear from you. I will give it a go, in fact my wife asked me about Christmas, and I dropped a hint about pencils, and watercolour pencils. I think drawing birds makes you study and appreciate the finer details of birds. Thanks once again Stewart, I also look forward to following your blog...Paul.

    ReplyDelete