Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 14 November 2017

Controlling Dogs.....rather controlling twitchers

I notice a recent post by a Norfolk twitcher quite rightly stating that Dogs need controlling wherever they are taken out, and indeed the vast majority of Dog owners (I own one myself) are responsible people.
A recent 'youtube' post regarding a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler at Burnham Overy Dunes attracted wholesale criticism of Twitcher idiots who engaged in what can only be described as criminal behaviour after damaging fencing used to contain cattle.  Fifty or more twitchers trespassed on private land, and one idiot even wanted to have an 'organised flush'.  This behaviour clearly shows these people have no concern for the welfare of the bird whatsoever.  The poor bird will have been flushed to death if it had not been stopped by Holkham wardens.  
The Holkham wardens who confronted these twitchers acted in a totally professional manner and the arguments spouted off by the twitchers were as weak as gnats pee. 
The sad thing is that this has not been, and will not be, the last occasion we see such pathetic behaviour by twitchers who I my opinion are not needed in the birding world.
I am not a twitcher, I have never, and will never share, rare bird finds on my patch, these idiots are not welcome.  I only share finds with trusted friends....and they are welcome to bring their dogs along too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment