Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Saturday 25 June 2016

Letter to the Watton and Swaffham Times regarding a non-compliance matter on the Peddars Way public footpath.

I have attached a copy of a letter to the Watton and Swaffham Times regarding a non-compliance matter on the Peddars Way path.....it's basics really.  The letter reads:

I am writing concerning a non-compliance matter along the Peddars footpath on the Merton Estate near Watton. The precise location is along the western periphery of the estate between Millhill Covert and Gosling Plantation south of Home Farm Lane.
The course of the Peddars Way has at the current time Sheep grazing right up to the path boundary and along this boundary an electrified fence has been put up to control the sheep. I became aware that this fence was electrified when my dog let out a loud yelp, he looked up to me for comfort as he was clearly distressed. Upon checking the fence it was evident that no signage was in place to warn the public that the fence was indeed electrified. Given the location of the electrified fence I would have thought that signage was a basic requirement when the public, their dogs, or indeed children are at risk.
I will be contacting the relevant agencies regarding this matter, which, as I have written, is such a basic requirement which should not have needed too much thought when installing an electrified fence along a public right of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment