Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Wednesday 2 October 2013

Irresponsible birding.

I apologise for having to have a little moan this morning.  I maintain a very good relationship with my local gamekeepers on my Breckland patch and a recent contact with the head 'keeper brought some sad news regarding visiting birders to my patch.  I don't know whether this is as a result of my blog, however, on recent occasions, birders have been asked to leave private land by 'keepers and this is not a good reflection on those of us who respect private land and pursue our passion from public rights of way etc. 
Using good fieldcraft and having patience brings its rewards in birding and this can easily be pursued without the need for trespassing.  Any patch birders who maintain a good relationship with their gamekeepers will know, as I do, that having respect for private land can in itself be very rewarding. I will be continuing to write my blog for all to see, however, I will in future be careful about giving locations of scarce/rare species. 
I am a passionate birder (not twitcher) and I wish to maintain my good relationship with those who work and keep the land on my Breckland patch, and indeed, I would say that respect for private land should be extended to where ever we choose to go birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment