Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 24 October 2013

Hen Harrier - Watton

No birding today, however, stepping outside into my back garden at about 1245hrs, my attention was drawn to two birds quite high approaching from the north-east.  One of these birds was a Crow species, this was mobbing a raptor species, I quickly went to collect my binoculars from indoors and fortunately upon my return both birds were still high in the sky.  Looking at the raptor through binoculars, I pleased to see that the raptor was a female Hen Harrier, sadly, a very scarce bird in Britain nowadays.
I am certain that this Hen Harrier was an immigrant from continental Europe, hopefully, this beautiful raptor will winter with us in the local Breckland area.
I have encountered Hen Harriers on a few occasions in winter on my Breckland patch over the years and always these have been the female, or 'ringtail' birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment