Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 31 October 2013

Houghton and Ashill, Norfolk

I began the day with a nice brisk circular 6 mile walk with Toby starting at Houghton-on-the-Hill, south along the Peddars Way to Little Cressingham and then along the Cressingham road to Ashill before returning to my start point.  I like to power walk first thing, therefore, any birds seen were whilst mobile, unless of course, something more unusual caught my eye.
It was evident that there had been a recent arrival of Thrushes within the area, most notably, along the Cressingham road at Ashill where a flock of 250+ Fieldfare flew low along fields to my right...chacking away as they passed by me.  Some Redwings were also seen at various localities as were Blackbirds, some of which I am sure would be migrants.
Bullfinches were either seen or heard at six localities along the route, this included a 'piping' flock of 4 at St Mary's church at Houghton.
As I Approached Houghton Common from Ashill, 2 Common Buzzards flew from pine woodland and south over the fields and closer to Houghton Common, in bushy habitat around a pond, 30+ Greenfinches gathered in Hawthorn, perhaps they were there to feed and drink/bathe in the pond shallows.
Walking along the hedgerow corridor back to St Mary's, the thin, high-pitched call of Goldcrests was heard and at the church itself, another flock of 60+ Fieldfares was seen.
Finally, when watching winter Thrushes (in autumn and spring) check them carefully, I have occasionally found Ring Ouzel travelling with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment