Friday, 9 October 2026

Bradenham (Bradenham Lane) 4 October 2026

I frequently go birding to random locations without too much planning, my reason for doing this is to survey birds at sites which probably get little birding coverage.  For me this is very important as such sites, the habitats, and their birds, especially when recorded on BTO's Birdtrack, will provide important information on previously unknown, or under-recorded sites hitherto not documented.

On the morning of 4 October I visited Bradenham Lane, a very narrow and probably ancient road, which passes through arable farmland at an elevated location.  Having checked the long roadside hedgerow I could see that sloes was the most abundant fruit.
Bradenham Lane 4 October 2026
This was a morning of common species associated with typical arable habitat, although some overhead movements was seen.  Firstly, movements seen was:-

40+ Common Gull S/E
1 Meadow Pipit South
2 Red Kites South (very high)

The long and virtually unbroken hedgerow alongside the lane held 5+ Dunnock, 5+ Robin, 4 Carrion Crows (2 pairs), Wren, Dunnock (6 sites),  one Yellowhammer, one Chiffchaff (heard), 3+ Magpie, Jay, 13+ Stock Doves, Wood Pigeon, and Buzzard.
Overhead, a social gathering of 300+ Rooks were circling in what I suspect is a type of bonding behaviour associated with these gregarious crows.
Close to the end of the visit I saw a Sparrowhawk at height circling before plummeting at speed towards the ground.

Also of interest on this visit was the finding a Clouded Yellow butterfly, initially in the bramble scrub (right of centre in the above picture) and later along the roadside hedgerow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment