Wednesday 31 July 2024

Little Cressingham 31 July 2024

 This is my first post for a while following a fall at home which caused some extremely painful ligament and tendon damage.  On the 19th July, the day of my fall, I was taken to hospital via ambulance due to some worrying swelling in my leg, which thankfully did not result in a clot.  Having spent 13 hours in hospital I had issues with regard to getting home, fortunately, my dear friend Andy Egan came to collect myself and my wife Pam and took us home.  Thank you so much Andy.  I must also thank my dear wide Pam for driving me around in the wheelchair.  I had my right leg on a raised rest and such was her driving skills, thoughts of a Laurel and Hardy sketch came to mind as she drove into a wall or caught the door of a lift which resulted in a loud "Oh sh*t", but we had a good laugh afterwards.  We did meet Lauren Hemp (England ladies footballer) who stopped for a lovely chat, what a very pleasant young lady.

Anyway, today was my first trip out since the 19th July, I took it nice and easy of course.  

Lots of visible changes along the Watton Brook valley at Little Cressingham with the river itself choked up with Burr reeds and the banks were looking overgrown and lush with the most abundant plants being Rosebay Willowherb, knapweed, lots of beautiful Teasel, Purple Loosestrife, and the usual patches of thick cover comprising Bramble and Hawthorn.

It is this time of year that I spend lots of time along Watton Brook in Little Cressingham as the lush vegetation holds migrant acrocephalus, phylloscopus, and Sylvia Warblers .

Stonechat (One of 5+) along Watton Brook 31 July 2024

This first visit of the Warbler migration season was quite productive.  I became aware of approaching Blue Tits (30+) in the valley, as they came closer I readied myself in the knowledge that this flock could hold other species, including Warblers.  As the Blue Tits passed me a single Chiffchaff was seen in Bramble briefly, a very short while later a single Willow Warbler briefly stopped in the same Bramble patch.  The Willow Warbler had a strong yellow supercillium and yellow cheeks, there was no tail-dipping, a habit seen with Chiffchaff.

In the same area of the valley a single Whitethroat was in a ditch along with one juv/female Reed Bunting, but the most visible species was Stonechat (5+) which typically chose prominent perches to watch from.

Not a bad first day out, but I am off for a week from Monday 5th August, Warbler and Flycatcher migration will be under way, I have encountered both Spotted and Pied Flycatcher in the valley in August, so hopefully I will have plenty to report.     

No comments:

Post a Comment