This mornings birding was on private land which lies within the army training area and my route took me along Watton Brook which runs between meadows and grassland on either side.
0710 As soon as I arrived I could see there was a wealth of activity in the immediate area, several Goldfinches were seen in the valley and in tall willows, at the same time a party of Long-tailed Tits moved along the valley, a few Whitethroats were present (including juveniles), two Carrion Crows were calling in the top of a tall dead Oak, and a Raven was heard briefly. Looking further west along the valley using the scope I could see Stonechats and Wrens on fencing, and when I eventually reached the area, a number of juvenile Wrens were moving about waterside herbage where one bird reached for a small invertebrate.
It soon became apparent that there was several Stonechats in the valley with at least 6 being juveniles, these youngsters were readily identifiable by their spotted crowns and cream mottling on their mantles. Some young Stonechats had variable amounts of red appearing on the underparts.
| Stonechat |
As I continued along the valley I was conscious of the possible early migratory, or post breeding dispersal, by acrocephalus Warblers. It really didn't take long to hear a familiar, harsh "trrr" note coming from within cover on the river bank, this was a juvenile Reed Warbler, soon afterwards, a second Reed Warbler flew low over open country and onto fencing near where the first call was heard, very brief but lovely views of this smart bird.
A number of House Martins were watched circling above the valley and occasionally they would fly down to the water to drink. Alarm calling House Martins alerted me to a possible raptor, Hobby maybe, this was shortly followed by movement heard out of sight in the river valley, careful inspection revealed a Sparrowhawk flying out of reeds with a small prey item.
Also of note in the valley area was a single Curlew striding over grassland, a pair of Yellowhammers, and a single Reed Bunting.
Watton
Later in the morning I visited a friend in Watton, and in her garden I found this rather attractive Rufous Grasshopper.
![]() |
| Rufous Grasshopper in Watton 30 July 2026 |

No comments:
Post a Comment