Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 15 November 2018

'Suspect' Redpoll on the patch 14th November.

For the last hour so of daylight yesterday afternoon (14th November), I decided to visit my patch within Thetford Forest to check for signs of Finch activity, which, in recent times, has been quite productive, including Crossbills, a species which has been scarce in recent years.
This is certainly turning into a 'Redpoll winter', and today was no exception with good numbers of these and Siskins about.
A small flock of Redwings alighted in a treetop above me, and although high, the strong, late afternoon sunlight did these gorgeous Thrushes justice.  I decided to photograph the Redwings, in doing so I captured, unintentionally, a very pale looking Redpoll.  My thoughts did jump to Arctic Redpoll, however, important identification features are not visible i.e. the rump and undertail coverts. Clearly, I shall be checking the site for this bird to try and secure an identification.
The 'suspect' Redpoll with Redwings on the patch 14th November.
The only certain thing about this Redpoll is the very pale appearance which highlights the black bib and darker fore-crown, and the pale and unmarked breast, flanks, and underparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment