Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 19 October 2018

Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler at Burnham Overy Dunes September 2017 (Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report 2017)

Today I received my copy of the 2017 Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report.  Whilst having an initial glance through the report I came across an article on the Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler at Burnham Overy Dunes September 2017.
I must show my disappointment in that there is no mention of condemnation of the extremely poor behaviour shown by some twitchers who displayed indefensible, selfish, and at times criminal behaviour whilst in pursuit of this poor bird (you tube account).  Additionally, the account does not offer an apology to the Holkham estate for damage caused to their property.
One idiot even suggested an organised flush of this bird, whilst at almost the same time, another idiot says the Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler is a skulker, the sum of this is that both idiots contradicted statements which ultimately would not have been in the interests of the bird (you tube).  Such statements shows a complete disregard for the welfare of the bird.
I never have, and indeed will never be a twitcher, I am a real birder who cares for the welfare of the bird, and indeed I respect public rights of way without the need for trespassing or damaging property to see a bird.  
Being a public forum, I will choose not to describe my feelings towards these twitchers so as not to offend, however, I would have no problems doing so if I should witness such poor behaviour when in the field.
I will end this post by offering my apologies to the Holkham estate on behalf of the idiots described above.  Throughout the incident shown on you tube, the Holkham estate wardens acted totally professionally throughout the incident shown on you tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment