Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 9 October 2018

Little Cressingham, Norfolk

A stunning day of weather with almost wall to wall sunshine and a moderate southerly wind.
The quiet at dawn was interrupted by a Goshawk calling in woodland, the first bird I heard this morning and a remarkable call carrying across the countryside.
I thought I could hear a Woodlark despite the noise of the wind, I walked slowly to the boundary of the army training area and eventually located a singing male Woodlark displaying over heathland.
A scan of distant heathland produced a male Kestrel sitting in a bush, and much closer to me was a calling Chiffchaff.
Small numbers of Song Thrushes passed overhead.

In my garden in Watton this afternoon a stunning female Southern Hawker remained a while on a Dog Rose.
Southern Hawker (female) in my garden 9th October

No comments:

Post a Comment