Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Sunday 11 March 2018

Major movement of Fieldfare over Deopham, Norfolk

Today was another long day at work starting at 0630 through to 1800.  It was my I intention to have lunch, a short nap, and a static bird-watch from the car for my afternoon break.
I was kept entertained for some time by a group of 12 Brown Hares which, following a period of doing nothing, then proceeded to chase as a group over the large fields, sometimes attaining a good speed.
At about 1345hrs, a large group of Fieldfares gathered in a couple of large trees to my left.  There was typically a lot of 'chacking' calls, then at about 1400hrs the Fieldfare left together, passing directly over my car.  I get out of the car as there seemed to more Fieldfare, but I was not expecting a vast number of birds stretching across the sky, which I estimated to be well in excess of 1500-2000 birds, all were heading in a more or less north-east heading.  Some 15 minutes later another smaller flock passed over, again in a north-east heading.
Fieldfare passage can be seen throughout March and April as they make for their Scandinavian breeding grounds.  My latest date for Fieldfare was 1st May.
A small flock of about 25 Lapwings were seen, 10+ Carrion Crows, a few singing Skylarks, and a singing Yellowhammer.  A Kestrel passed over too.

No comments:

Post a Comment