Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 7 September 2017

Goshawk at Little Cressingham

Other than the months of March and April, when Goshawks can be seen displaying, for me, September is the next best time to see this powerful raptor on my patch.  Most are juvenile birds wandering from their natal areas to hunt for themselves.  I have seen young juveniles in many different locations and habitats, including one last autumn passing low over our garden in the small town of Watton.
This afternoon I was checking a ditch for migrants in Little Cressingham, none were seen, therefore I turned my attention to the large rolling fields of arable and wide strips of grass and weeds through the fields and along the weedy edges.
I soon noticed a large raptor species flying back and forth over the long grass strip in a hope to flush prey, I could see straight away that this was a juvenile Goshawk.  I was able to get this shot of the bird, note the streaked breast on this bird, this clearly ages this bird as a juvenile, adult Goshawks have neat barring on the underparts.
Goshawk (juvenile) at Little Cressingham 7th Sept.  Note the streaks on this birds breast, this feature is only seen on juveniles.  Adults have neatly barred underparts. 
 A few minutes later the Goshawk was seen over nearby woodland and arable where it was seen to follow and 'mock attack' a Common Buzzard, the Buzzard reacted by rolling over and showing its outstretched legs and talons to the Goshawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment