Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 20 April 2017

Whitethroat at Great Cressingham

There is no doubt that the recent run of westerly to northerly winds has stalled spring migration, this is evident from the lack of Whitethroat records from my patch.  However, as previously written, migration in spring has greater urgency to it than autumn migration as birds need to get back to their territories in order to secure them for breeding, and some birds do in fact make it despite adverse conditions.
This afternoon I visited suitable habitat just outside the village of Great Cressingham.  As I walked along, a small passerine species crossed the road in front of me, this looked interesting, I therefore stood for a while and to my delight I then heard the familiar "ved-ved-ved" agitation call of a Whitethroat, this was then followed by a quiet sub-song.  The Whitethroat was briefly seen moving about the base of the hedge where the conspicuous white-throat was seen.
I had a sense of elation at this find and celebrated the safe return of this gorgeous Warbler following its long journey from the Sahel region of Africa.  This is my second record this year of Whitethroat on the patch, the first was seen outside Ashill on the morning of 15th April.

No comments:

Post a Comment