Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 16 September 2016

One very lucky Tawny Owl....thank god.

At 0600 I was heading for Houghton.  Driving through the village of Saham Toney I passed over the bridge over Watton Brook and immediately in front of me in the middle of my lane a Tawny Owl was sitting on prey, I braked but couldn't stop in time and I felt a very sickening feeling as I heard noise under the car, I stopped and went back to check the road and all I found was a freshly dead Wood Pigeon squab.  A driver who was behind me but stopped in front of me said "It's ok, it flew off", I thanked him for this and felt very relieved.

Houghton
I arrived at Houghton to dismal, misty, drizzle conditions, and very poor light.  The continuing period of 30+ degrees has been replaced by fresher, more autumnal conditions.  This was a fairly short visit as the drizzle was beginning to turn to rain, and in fact, continuous heavy rain with early thunder and lightning was to follow for the day ahead.
Light was poor, however, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs were heard in the hedgerows, also, my second Tawny Owl of the day was seen flying between woodland, and then calling. 

Surface pressure charts for the coming weekend suggests good conditions for migrating raptors, and possibly movements of passerines, including Pipit species.  I have seen Honey Buzzard and Osprey in similar conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment