Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 16 September 2016

12th September - a notable day for Chiffchaffs

I visited a number of sites on the patch on 12 September with the emphasis once again on finding migrants and indeed, Chiffchaffs featured with high numbers seen and heard.

Houghton
A circular walk at Houghton was productive with my staging post holding good numbers of migrants. At dawn a flock of 10+ Mistle Thrushes moved through Oaks and in the hedgerows the "hweet" calls of Chiffchaffs was heard.
I checked my regular patch of dense Elder, Hawthorn, and Sallow habitat and located many Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler, and at least 2 Lesser Whitethroats.  The hedgerow corridor produced Whitethroat and further Chiffchaffs.

Watton Brook Valley
Following on from Houghton I checked a small section of the valley which was surprisingly quiet, however, a single Chiffchaff was heard singing and calling to the north, I watched and heard this individual make its way closer to me, entering a Bramble patch in front of me before flying into a group of Sallows.

Threxton
A late afternoon visit to the sewage treatment works produced high numbers of Chiffchaffs in front of me in one small area of Elder and conifer screen.  Also noted here was a number of Goldcrests and a Grey Wagtail.   

No comments:

Post a Comment