Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Monday 29 February 2016

Hockham, Norfolk

What a wonderful end to February with bright calm conditions throughout the day and a temperature high of 8 degrees.
Following a morning at work I decided to visit Hockham with raptors particularly in mind.  Walking the woodland trails I encountered Goldcrest and singing Treecreeper.
A check of a flooded area produced a few Wigeon, Mallard, and Gadwall, with Teal being heard.  Whilst watching these Ducks I noticed a large distant raptor species just above the tree canopy, checking the bird through binoculars it was a female Marsh Harrier.  I moved closer to where I had seen the bird but it was not relocated, although it was undoubtedly still in the area.
Close to where I was standing at least 7 Snipe were seen in a flooded area of rush-fen habitat.  Given the size of the site visited, the true numbers of Snipe could reach high double figures, or more.
At least 3 Grey Herons were seen and overhead a Great Spotted Woodpecker passed over in typical bounding flight.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, we were in touch back in 2012 on Facebook and despite trying to get back in touch with your watton hotmail address it didn't work. Are you okay to drop me an email so I can get back in touch? My email is andrew.kinghorn@hotmail.co.uk. Hope to hear from you soon! Cheers, Andrew

    ReplyDelete