Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 2 February 2016

Hockham Fen, Norfolk

Feeling pretty rough this morning with a nasty chesty cough, however, Toby needed his walk so I visited Hockham Fen for about 10 minutes at dawn before turning back.  The following was noted:

Canada Goose
Greylag Geese
c.20 Whooper Swans high East
Teal
1 CRANE
6+ Grey Herons
1 Snipe
2 Buzzards

18+ Red Deer

Over the years I have seen Common Cranes in the Breckland area, usually as two's or fours together, this was my first record of a singleton.  Although regarded as a sedentary species, the appearance of this Crane at Hockham Fen leads me to believe that perhaps the species commutes between the Norfolk Broads and Lakenheath Fen.  However, I have seen very high-flying migrant Cranes from my Watton garden which suggests genuine European migrants do occur in Norfolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment