Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Watton Brook Valley, Little Cressingham, Norfolk

My attention this time of year always turns to the Watton Brook Valley where I search for migrants.  Today did not reveal any Chat species, however, given the long and meandering nature of the brook, along with fantastic lush habitats and various small tributary-like ditches, I am sure that many migrants would have been present within the valley.
Toby today - always patiently waits when I am birding
Incessantly calling young Buzzards were heard from woodland habitats and a number were soaring high on thermals, however, the most interesting observation was of a Buzzard standing facing a Hare in some kind of 'Face-Off', I was unable to ready the camera in time for a picture, which I feel, would have been a great talking point.
A few Whitethroats were seen in roadside hedgerow and woodland edge, possibly true migrants, and 4 Bullfinches flew directly above me.
Overviewing fields and woodland, close to 'The Arms', I saw a distant large raptor soaring, a closer look revealed a Goshawk which had attracted the attention of two mobbing Kestrels.

Later in the day I visited another section of Watton Brook Valley close to Fairstead Lane.  Another check of this beautiful valley did not present migrants, but as written before, I am sure some would have been present.
A check of the valley near the windmill produced a couple of skulking Whitethroats, a Blackbird feeding on Blackberry, Greenfinch, and Chaffinch.  A pair of Mute Swans were accompanied by 3 young birds.
Several House Martins and a few Swallows were overhead, however, it looks as if the Swifts have now departed.

No comments:

Post a Comment