Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 1 August 2014

Stow Bedon, Norfolk

Well, we are now in August and it is that time of year when I focus on bird migration.  I noticed this morning that Elder bushes are heavy in mostly unripened fruits, although some bushes have isolated ripe fruits.  August is the time to keep watching these and other fruit bearing bushes and trees.  The smaller fruits like Elder will attract Whitethroats, Lesser Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, and Garden Warblers.  Often, all of these species may share the same habitat for one purpose, to fuel up for migration.
Roe Deer Stow Bedon 01/08/14
July and August are the months to seek out passage wading birds so I decided to check the usual site.  On this occasion just a single Green Sandpiper was seen on the fringes of stagnant water. 
When searching for passage wading birds it is always worth checking muck heaps, at these habitats liquid seepage will attract midges which will in turn see waders turn up to feed.
Whilst overviewing the wader staging post, this Roe Deer wandered by.  I was able to take this shot through a gap in a hedge, it is clear from the picture that the Deer is alert and probably aware of my presence.
Further along the route on Stowlay Lane I found a couple of Elders within a hedge line which looked worth watching, after a short while, a single Whitethroat fly out of the hedge.
On my return walk along Mere Road I decided to sit and watch a lovely patch of Bramble and Blackthorn where I saw a couple of Whitehroats yesterday.  I did here a calling Whitethroat to my left, however, the main interest in the habitat I was watching was a pair of Yellowhammers, one of which was carrying inest prey for young.
Whilst watching suitable Warbler habitat, I heard calling Buzzard, I then located 3 Buzzards high drifting south, shortly after this, a single Hobby was also seen high.
Returning to my start point, several House Martins and Swallows were seen around Church Farm...perhaps the Hobby was watching the Hirundines.

No comments:

Post a Comment