Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Wednesday 5 March 2014

East Wretham Heath for Adders

With dry settled conditions and unbroken sunshine and warmth through the morning, my objective was to locate Adders at East Wretham Heath.  The conditions suggested I should be in luck.
Adder at Eas Wretham Heath, Norfolk 05/03/14 
A number of suitable habitats were checked i.e. raised sunny, bracken covered banks, however, it wasn't until I walked along a track leading to mature Scots Pines and very thick bracken that I found my first Adder of the year.  This beautiful snake was sunning itself on track-side bracken.
Adders will emerge from their winter hibernation in late February if the conditions are right.  Male Adders emerge about a month prior to female Snakes.
As a dog owner myself, this is a timely reminder to keep your pets on a short leash when venturing into Adder habitat as curious dogs are frequently bitten each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment