Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Sunday 3 March 2013

Swan Spectacular

Here in Breckland, we are fortunate to be under the flyway for wild Swan species as they migrate from the Ouse Washes east to their breeding grounds in Siberia.
This morning, I took Toby, my beautiful border Collie for a walk around Merton Park, a beautiful well-wooded estate owned by Lord Walsingham. 
At about 0725, as I was walking between Home Farm Lane and Merton village hall, I could hear approaching Swans, then, the first of 3 flocks of Bewick's Swans passed over Watton, these were followed by a further 2 flocks which flew more or less directly above me.  The total number of Bewick's Swans seen was in excess of 350 birds, these comprised flocks of 100+, 50+, and finally 200+ birds. This final flock of 200+ birds passed directly overhead in a huge V formation, the sight and sound of these birds gave me Goose (or maybe Swan) pimples.  These departing Swans were leaving us with a purpose, to breed in Siberia, however, they will once again return to spend winter with us later in the year - the miracle of migration.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment