Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Monday 4 March 2013

Good Raptor conditions but nothing showing.

The day dawned overcast and grey, however, a promise for improving and sunny conditions suggested a good day for watching Goshawk display on my patch.
Arriving at 0900, cloud was beginning to break with bright conditions improving all the time – this seemed an almost perfect day for displaying Goshawk.  I met Mick Saunt who was already in position and waiting for the arrival of this magnificent Raptor.  Cloud continued to break and by 1000hrs the skies were blue with the exception of some high thin cloud.
We waited, and waited some more with little showing, however, at about 1015 things looked up as I was over-viewing the tree-line a single Goshawk was very briefly in view before flying behind the Pine block on the heath, I called "Mick", he also saw the bird as it disappeared behind the trees.  Could this be a sign that our fortunes were about to change, sadly, no, and the skies above the heath remained Raptor-free until I left at 1200.
I suppose I could at least say that this is still very early in the season for Goshawk display – “I’ll be back”.
Whilst waiting for the elusive Goshawk, other species seen included 3 Meadow Pipits over, a singing ♂ Yellowhammer, 1 Kestrel, Carrion Crows, Green Woodpecker, and singing Mistle Thrush.

On my walk back I briefly stopped at Thompson Water and heard Cettis's Warbler singing from dense cover, and on the water, a beautiful Great Crested Grebe in full breeding dress was seen. A few Gadwall and Teal were also on the water.

1 comment:

  1. Another series of great reports, Paul. Be not disappointed, having no entries in the "Comment" section dies not mean that nobody is reading your blog! Many are.
    Bob

    By the way, can you please slightly amend my blog address as there is a "2" missing. It should now read http;//birdingaxarquia2.blogspot.com to reach the replacement sight. You will see why when you try out both variants!

    ReplyDelete