Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Little Cressingham (Watton Brook Valley) 18 August 2026

It has been a long time since we had any significant and meaningful rainfall here in the Brecks, therefore, could you imagine my absolute delight that at just after midnight on the 18 August when it began to rain steadily and continuously for around 3 hours, it was a wonderful sound listening to the rain beating down on the conservatory roof.

I had only a short time for birding this morning and I chose to walk along the Watton Brook valley off Great Cressingham Road for a migrant search. 
Firstly, a single Red Kite perched rather statesman-like on a dead branch high in an Oak and nearby on wires were perched 5 Stock Doves.  Before entering the area of grassland an initial scan saw 25 Lapwings on the hard, dry land.
I walked along the valley through lots of grazing cattle which were being fed on a good supply of supplementary food as the usual lush grassland is looking more like a desert due to the current drought conditions.  I noted that 6 Pied Wagtails were feeding around the cattle. 

The lush green habitat alongside Watton Brook separates this feature from what otherwise appears as an arid looking surrounding landscape, as expected, the valley produced most birds.  My quick visit along Watton Brook produced at least two Whitethroats, Wrens, Dunnock, several Goldfinches, Great Tit, and in excess of 10 Stonechats, of which most were juveniles. 50+ Swallows flew low up and down the valley in their search for food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment