Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Monday 1 February 2021

1st February (A good start to record collecting for the month)

Some excellent records collected locally today began with a two hour walk through my local Breckland habitat. I decided to walk my chosen route following Dawn Balmer’s record of Hen Harrier there yesterday.  Despite not seeing the ring-tail, species I did record Crane (3) Marsh Harrier (3), Goshawk (1♂), Cetti’s Warbler, and Brambling.

Later in the morning once home, good record collecting continued when a fine Blackcap was seen feeding upon halved apples I hung on a tree.  A local Sparrowhawk also passed through causing panic amongst the Doves and Starlings.

Acrobatic Blackcap in garden 1st February

Blackcap (male) in garden 1st February

I arrived home at about 100hrs to find this lovely male Blackcap in one of trees feeding upon halved apples I hung out.  By providing this fruit like this, Blackcap was a species in the forefront of mind to attract into the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment