Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 27 October 2017

Benacre, Covehithe, Hen Reedbed (Suffolk) and Claxton Marshes (Norfolk) with Jim Bradley, 25th October.

Highlights: Today, I met my very good birding friend Jim Bradley for a days birding on his patch.  For me this was a special day as I was reconnecting with areas which I visited back in my youth in the late 1960's and early 1970's from my then home in Beccles, Suffolk.  I owe Jim so much for taking me around locations which were so special to me in my youth.
The earlier part of the day was at both Benacre and Covehithe, and immediately upon our arrival I remembered the distinct Covehithe church, some of which is in ruins, yet such a beautiful church.
Species highlights and migration: Our visit to Covehithe and Benacre was rich in birdlife and for me the most memorable part of this visit was witnessing southbound migration of Finch species, most notably Redpolls, some Siskins, and a probable, unseen, calling Hawfinch which we both remarked upon from in the hide at Benacre.
Visible migration also seen when a small flock of Wigeon flew in very high off the sea.
Raptors featured today with single Peregrines at two sites, the second of which almost took a Wood Pigeon with a glancing blow resulting in a puff of white Pigeon feathers.
Marsh Harriers were seen widely today and at four Kingfishers were seen.

Covehithe and Benacre
Prior to departure, Jim kindly showed me his impressive Moth trap, a number of species of Moth were seen, most I have not heard of, but educational for me. I really must brush-up.  
Our first stop was at Covehithe, Jim parked by the church and immediately memories flooded back of this fine old building from my youth.  The Finch theme was noted straight away with a flyover Brambling.
From the church we first headed north along the cliff edge to Benacre Broad, between our start point and the Broad, Finches featured significantly with a number of species seen.  Firstly, a small flock of Twite flew up from cliff-top weeds.  As we continued our walk it became apparent that Redpolls were on the move with a number of smallish flocks passing south overhead.  Small numbers of Siskins, Linnets, and Goldfinches were all seen.  Having reached the hide to overview the Broad, we both looked at each other when we heard the flight-call of a Hawfinch, and immediately commented on this bird.  With the very impressive counts of Hawfinch along the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts at this time, I suppose the bird we heard was not entirely unexpected.
Benacre Broad looked spectacular in the strong early morning sunlight.  Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gull, Redshank, Dunlin, and Black-tailed Godwit were seen along with Marsh Harrier over the reedbed.  Two Kingfishers were seen.
Waders, Duck, and Gull species took to the wing, typical behaviour of birds when a raptor arrives. Checking the skies, Jim picked out a Peregrine circling over the Broad.  Close examination of the bird showed it to be a juvenile.
Visible migration continued with 10 Wigeon very high flying west (inland) from off the sea.
Walking back south along the cliff, Redpolls continued to pass over south in small numbers.
After a short break we then walked south to Covehithe Broad, here we had good views of in-flight Bearded Tits, and heard their mechanical "ping" calls.

Hen Reedbed (Blythe Estuary)
Another great location, one which I have only seen distantly in my youth from the layby on the A12 road at Blythburgh.
Before setting off a single Kingfisher flew through the car park.
Overviewing from the raised bank, several wader species were seen including Black-tailed Godwit, Ringed Plover, Curlews, Redshank and Dunlin, also, a few Little Egrets were scattered around the estuary. At least 3 Cetti's Warblers were singing in the reeds.
Our second Peregrine came into view over the water, I watched it fly left over high ground, and then accelerated for an attack on a Wood Pigeon.  The attack was failed, although a puff of white feathers from the Pigeon indicated the intended victim may have suffered wounds.

Claxton Marshes (Norfolk)
Our final destination for the day was a walk through Claxton Marshes down to the River Yare.  This beautiful location is Jim's patch.
A distant Marsh Harrier was seen hunting low over reeds and at the River Yare we saw our 4th Kingfisher of the day.
Jim picked up Bearded Tits on the marsh close to the river, a first for him on his patch.
Viewing over the river we could see Barnacle Geese on the marsh, also a distant flock of Pink-footed Geese approached for landing.
Finally, on our way back through the village a Chiffchaff was heard.  A few Hornets were seen on a sweet-smelling patch of Ivy.

My sincere thanks go out to Jim for making this a very enjoyable day for me, both from the birding perspective, and for reacquainting with locations known to me in my youth.  A big thank you Jim.

2 comments:

  1. Always good to revisit sites of yesteryore. Yet to find a Siskin this year but should be here soon and never seen a Redpoll in Spain. back to the UK for a fortnight in mid-November so a visit to the North Norfolk coast should produce both along with Brambling and the neverseen geese. Happy birthday and card re-sent as I had used your old email address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Bob, the card was beautiful. I am going to put long hours in for my last month with the current employer, if nearer the time you let me know NN Coast I will see if I am off and we could meet up there. Thanks once again Bob.

    ReplyDelete