Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 21 February 2023

Watton, Norfolk

 Yet another glorious day with bright sunshine and mild temperatures. I was working this morning so this afternoon I took advantage of the lovely weather and check to see if yesterdays Green Sandpiper was still present.  I arrived on site and checked the area but could not see the bird initially, until it flew up to relocate and reveal its highly distinctive dark and white appearance, a very contrasting little wader.

Green Sandpiper in Watton 21 February
I eventually settled down to watch the Green Sandpiper and for much of the visit the bird was quite motionless, although it occasionally preened and then briefly slept.

The Green Sandpiper is mostly known as a scarce spring and autumn passage migrant but in winter this is a very scarce species.  I have occasionally encountered Green Sandpipers on my Breckland patch in the winter months.

Also seen this afternoon was a pair of Egyptian Geese with 9 young goslings and a single Grey Wagtail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment