Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 27 January 2023

New beginnings

 To those of you who have followed my Breckland Birder site, it has been obvious to you I am sure that my blogging has been absent for some time.  I apologise for my idleness.

Today (Friday 27/1/23), I met with my friends Graham and Lynn Trimmer for a coffee and an overdue catch up.  I had a thoroughly great visit with Graham and Lynn, we chatted about many things including current affairs, but also, we talked about my Breckland Birder site and for the need for me to restart my birding experiences.  Graham inspired me engage with you through my blog and it is my intention to use my birding experiences as an educational tool.  I thank Graham and Lynn for giving me the lift I needed. I am pleased to say that I will be joined by Graham and Lynn soon for a local walk to discover and learn about our wonderful birds and other wildlife.

Birding has been a lifelong passion of mine and despite first showing an interest in birds back in the 1960's, my desire to learn has never faltered.  Bird migration never ceases to amaze me and it is this fascinating area of birding I would especially like to share with you, I will let you know where and when to 'look up' to watch migrant birds on the move.

To begin with I will let you know about a recent observation of Fieldfare interested me.  It was early one morning when a single Fieldfare was perched high in a Poplar and calling its "shack shack" contact call, this bird continued to call this behaviour for several minutes when I then saw its head on one side to look up.  Checking the sky above the bird I saw a small flock of Fieldfare approaching very high overhead and calling, the Fieldfare in the tree on cue flew off and climbed high and away with the passing birds. Amazing!!


 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment