Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 21 August 2020

Watton Brook Valley (juvenile Greenshank)

This morning, I decided to check the valley for migrants before stormy conditions set in.  Even early morning it was very windy, but sunny and warm otherwise.

Following recent very heavy thunderstorms, the valley became flooded in many areas along its length, thus becoming attractive to Gulls and passing wader species.  This morning Gulls were present in good numbers on flood water, an estimated 400+ Black-headed Gulls, and a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls were present in varying age groups.  One of these Black-headed Gulls was seen chasing a Wader species, as the chase broke off I followed the wader and despite distance, saw an unmarked darkish upper-wing and a white rump extending up the rump to form a wedge shape, this was a Greenshank.

The Greenshank alighted on the ground, which comprised mostly long grass, which rendered the wader lost to view.  Apart from the occasional relocation flight, the bird was difficult to find, the search was on.

A long thorough look through the Gulls and surrounding habitats proved fruitless, however, I later detected a little movement in long grass, using my 'scope I said under my breath "Yes, Greenshank". I trained my 'scope on this bird where it preened for some time, but was always partially concealed in the grass.  The key features seen on the Greenshank was the long, slightly up-turned bill, pale grey-brown crown, white forecrown, dark loral stripe which accentuated the white forecrown and chin and throat. The grey-brown patterned upperparts showed this to be a juvenile bird.

I have often encountered Greenshanks in autumn on the patch, these are always singleton birds, and generally calling passage birds, so to find one on the ground with reasonable views was the highlight of the day for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment