Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Monday 13 July 2020

Marlingford, Norfolk, 11th and 12th July

This was a working weekend in Norwich, I therefore chose Marlingford for my work break birding due to its close proximity for my return to work.
A productive visit to this beautiful area.  An overview of the floodplain in the Yare valley produced a single Grey HeronBlackcap, Whitethroat, 1 Marsh Tit, Nuthatch, and a singing Reed Bunting on the 11th.
Marsh Tit Marlingford 11th July
The highlight of this visit was initially heard, a familiar "eez tk tk", only one bird has this call, Spotted Flycatcher, and indeed after a short search I found a bird on a wire, with a second bird also present.  In fact, upon my arrival I thought of the possibility of this sadly declining species being here.
Spotted Flycatcher - One of a breeding pair at Marlingford
Spotted Flycatcher



Spotted Flycatcher showing the nicely streaked crown.
Visiting on the 12th, I concentrated my efforts on watching the Spotted Flycatchers again.  Both were always close to an Oak with very old, dead climbers around the trunk of the tree, I suspected this as the site for the nest.
Food carrying was noted by the parent birds.  I was amazed at the sheer speed of Spotted Flycatcher's flight through trees and its sweeps  and swoops as it hunts prey.
A great weekends watching these beautiful Spotted Flycatchers, a sadly declining species these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment