Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Saturday 9 November 2019

'Phantom of the forest' in the mist

This morning was a typical November start to the day, fairly calm, a slight ground frost, and thick fog persisting until mid-morning.  The dawn temperature was +1 degree Celsius. By late morning brighter conditions with strong sunlight lasted into the afternoon.
I arrived in the forest near Hockham at about 0720 and remained until about 1030.  Despite poor visibility, Redwings, a few Fieldfare, and lots of Blackbirds, plundered Hawthorn bushes for their fruits.  Higher in trees both Goldfinches and Siskins were present in good numbers.
My frequent visits to this locality over the years has seen me identify specific trees where Goshawks like to perch and survey their surrounding, so, despite the poor light and visibility I positioned myself where I had good views of the said trees.  Time passed by and the fog was reluctant to move, short and promising glimpses of the sun through the fog was often frustratingly all too brief with thick fog covering the sun again.
Goshawk chasing Carrion Crow in fog near Hockham 9th November
I then noticed a tussle between a couple of birds ahead of me, one was a Goshawk literally on the tail of a Carrion Crow, this tussle developed into a chase, however, the Crow got away and the Goshawk alighted in one of its favourite trees just a hundred yards  or so ahead of me, its size indicated this was a male bird.  The Goshawk was aware of my presence and flew leisurely off into the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment